October. Oh, man OCTOBER! As I was heading home on my bike today, I decided once and for all that October is clearly the best month of the year. Challengers: June, July and December. But October is the best.
- The weather. It's positively dumb right now. Cool mornings and evenings, just-right temps during the day. No humidity. And when it's cold, it's usually not cold-cold. (Although I should note that the first year I ran the Trek Store, the mid-October breast cancer awareness ride featured snow and sleet.)
- The bike racing. Cyclocross. Just one hour of power. Much shorter training sessions, too. I can go to a CX race and not blow the entire day. Well, I can still blow the entire day but I don't HAVE to.
- The beer. Sam Adams Octoberfest might be my favorite beer. We're almost done with a case of it (I've had it for a while) and I might get another.
- Apple cider. And caramel apples. Duh.
- The fall colors are OK, too. It looks awesome out there.
- Peppermint Stick ice cream should be here VERY SOON.
Of course, on the other side of all of this is November. Bleak, barren, starting-to-get-cold November. Or, depending on the current weather pattern, actually cold November. And snowy. But still bleak and barren. I think the color of the sky in November is pretty much always gray.
And then we have darkness for three months.
So yeah, October. Go soak it up while you can. Time's a wasting.